Fwd: questions about Sanyo MBC 55x collectors

jim stephens james.w.stephens at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 21:30:12 CDT 2005

Two comments:

I remember seeing the useless book on how to get the most from
your Sanyo Icon book at Micro Center here in Santa Ana, Ca tore.

The thing stayed there till a purge, around 1998 or so.

About 2 months ago, another one showed up at full price.

This is the same store that marked all their copies of K&R
C manuals down because of the copyright date to $5 each.
I of course bought all of them.

As to the CDP units, Columbia had a keyboard "ICE" or
debugger. You could rig it to go immediatly into a software
debugger on one of the serial ports before booting your OS.

Also you could set it so that control-alt-1 or something like
would drop into the debugger at any time, and I solved a lot
of mysterious hangs early on with it.

Sad that feature (letting the user figure out what the hell
his system is doing) is missing on Windows these days.
You only have your own lack of initiative if you use Linux
in figuring out what your system is doing, which is how
it should be.

Jim

BTW if we are voting I'd not toss the thing. It was pretty
in its plastic case, and it should boot msdos at least,
since the older ones were XT or PC compatable and should
not have had any setup disk requirements.