TEC FD-50x drives - known issues?

Allison ajp166 at bellatlantic.net
Sat Oct 8 22:24:48 CDT 2005

>Subject: Re: TEC FD-50x drives - known issues?
>   From: Dave Dunfield <dave04a at dunfield.com>
>   Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2005 21:51:46 -0400
>     To: "General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts" <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
>
>I've found a few Newtronics/Mitsumi HD drives which will fit (Data
>connector is on the back left corner when drive faces you) ... one
>option I am considering is to see if I can modify the motor control
>board to go to 300 rpm (as far as I can tell there is no jumper) and
>strap Pin2 to keep the drive in low-density mode - I can regen and
>copy the disks to 80 track... But something more original would be
>preferable if I can find it... Do the Newtronics DD drive have the
>data connector in the position I described?

Holding it face down and looking at the top the connector is bottom
left side.

Connector location is tight locations can be a pain.  I've found
sometime if it's far enough away (wrong enough) a jumper cable can
be used to make ends meet.  Space permitting.

>Note that it's not so much a size problem, as the fact that there is
>a little board directly behind the drive with 1" cables for the data
>connectors - you simply can't put in drives with the data connector
>on the other side (which is where most of the drives I have put it).

Sounds like some of the TRS80 drive boxes.  The connector landed just
right for SA400 and nothing else.

Again if the drive is the mirror opposite flipping the drive may fit
IF mounted vertically. For example the FD55BV works in the NS* horizon
only if the drive is oriented so that the connector is on the up side
rather than down because the added depth for the connector hits the
rectifiers.  If mounted horizonatly that sorta stinks as most work
poorly upside down.

One other solution, this is bizzarro. It assumes the media is soft
sector. Replace the drive with a 720k compatable 3.5" floppy in a
5.25 adaptor.  The problem here is getting software from the 5.25"
down to the 3.5" if there is only one drive possible.  If there
are two drives a simple copy from one to the other works.  I hear
crowds screaming, sure you will not use the full capacity but,
it works. I've done this stunt in many machines (my 4/84 kaypro
has two thin 3.5" where one HH 5.25" used to fit.)

Allison