MPX-16 census

Chris M chrism3667 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 8 08:50:21 CDT 2005

a scholar and a gentleman. I even considered building
my own, though not sure if MM made the artwork
available. Was put off by the fact that the board has
7 layers according to the article. If anyone is
knowledgeable enough of pcb production - is it
possible to make a 7 layer board w/o special
equipment/materials? Why did it even need 7 layers?
How many layers were did the IBM PC mobo have? I know
for a fact that the RE robot puter (80188) mobo had 2
sides (top and bottom, no sandwich).
--- cctech-bounces at classiccmp.org
<chenmel at earthlink.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 07:29:40 -0700 (PDT)
> Chris M <chrism3667 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > dont have one, but want one. I hope youll make
disk
> > images available.
>
> I certainly will.  A list member has extended a warm
welcome to the idea
> of me imaging my disks and putting them on his site.
 More to follow
> when they're all imaged and online.
>
> > --- cctech-bounces at classiccmp.org
> > <chenmel at earthlink.net> wrote:
> > > Does anybody else on the list have an MPX-16
system?
> >  I recently
> > > acquired one from a list member and am wondering
how
> > many of these
> > > systems still exist.  I have a large
(relatively)
> > collection of
> > > diskettes with mine.
> > >
> > > The MPX-16, for those not familiar with it, was
> > published as a project
> > > in Steve Ciarcia's 'Circuit Cellar' column in
Byte
> > magazine.  It was a
> > > three part 'construction' article and the
machine
> > was sold by MicroMint
> > > for a time.  What I've heard is that about 500
> > machines in total were
> > > produced.
> > >
> > > It's an early 'IBM Compatible' in that they
designed
> > it to be similar to
> > > the PC, but only to a certain degree.  It uses a
> > serial console rather
> > > than keyboard/display adapter, and it runs
CP/M-86
> > and supposedly MS-DOS
> > > though I don't have DOS diskettes for mine.  It
has
> > ISA slots and a
> > > similar architecture to the IBM-PC, coming out
of
> > that early era before
> > > there were PC clones from the likes of Compaq.
> > >
> > > I'm curious of how many other MPX-16 systems
have
> > survived to today.
> > > There isn't a lot about it online.  I can share
what