Archival storage

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed Oct 12 00:44:20 CDT 2005

Re:  cards and FORTRAN II.

When it comes to stuff like FORTRAN II, the question comes up:  "Whose FORTRAN II?"  There were lots and lots of variants.  I seem to recall that 7090 FMS II FORTRAN had its share of strange things, like punching a "D" in column 1 to get double-precision arithmetic.  Yet the compiler-on-cards hung around for quite a while.  The 1620 certainly had it--and I think a card-based FORTRAN was available for the 360/20, although it may have been something like USA Basic FORTRAN.

Cheers,
Chuck