Telnetting for SNMP etc was Re: A few items for sale

Cameron Kaiser spectre at floodgap.com
Thu Oct 13 23:29:39 CDT 2005

> Sure you can. Just telnet to the SNMP server and send it the commands to get
> the messages. When I teach networking we actually have an exercise where we
> do exactly that. It's a little tricky, though, because a telnet client does
> not echo what you type. It depends on the telnet server echoing the data
> back and it displays what it gets back. Unfortunately, SNMP servers don't do
> that, so when you type the commands you can't see what you are typing. It
> can be a little confusing. But doable, yes.

Eh? You could turn local echo on in the client, but tbh, I have not seen this
behaviour with the vanilla Unix client connecting to SNMP or SMTP ports.

 Cameron Kaiser, Floodgap Systems Ltd * So. Calif., USA * ckaiser at floodgap.com
-- The cost of living has not adversely affected its popularity. --------------