GDS Tapeouts solved...

Steven N. Hirsch shirsch at adelphia.net
Fri Oct 14 14:36:32 CDT 2005

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005, Curt @ Atari Museum wrote:

> I've been sitting on literally hundreds of chip "tapeouts" of various
> proprietary Atari chip designs from the 70's through the 80's for various
> chips used in their arcade, home video game and home computer systems.   I
> plethora of legacy designs that would've been a true loss to classic computing
> and video gaming history had they lanquished to a point where the 9 track
> tapes would've become unreadable.

(snip)

> Well, I thought I'd share this info with everyone as I know I've asked many a
> times to the group if anyone could assist and I've been at this now since, oh
> about 2003, so its good to finally be able to access this data at last.

Glad you worked that all out, Curt.  Do you have the RTL description for
any of those, or even a netlist?  In theory, a good LVS tool and lots of
patience could infer the netlist from the layout.  In practice, it may be
extremely difficult to back out anything usable (I work in the field, so
this is not idle speculation).

Steve