OT: Language for the ages

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Tue Oct 18 18:14:22 CDT 2005

> Sometime around ten years ago (I think), F-T changed from red/grey to
> yellow/black. It is still pretty much the same. Kind of like cockroaches,

Well, the mechanical bits are much the same (although I think some have
been discontinued), the electromechanical stuff and electronics has been
totally dumbbed down from the stuff I learnt on. There are no
replacements for the old-series electronic modules, for the analogue
(transistors) and digital (TTL) kits (I wish I had the former...) or even
som,e of the electromechanical bits.

> but in a good way - very well engineered for simplicity, extremely
> adaptable, and will outlive the human species.

I have had parts fail. In particular, the little gearbox modules used
with the mini-motor have nylon gears pressed onto metal shafts. I've had
some develop radial splits and then slip and fail to mesh smoothly (like
the well-known failure mode of the Alps mini-ballpoint-pen plotter). F-T
do not supply such spara parts, so you have to buy the complete module
(at least you can sometimes make one good one from 2 dead ones...)