Fischer Technik and similar logic-enhanced toys (was Re: OT: Language for the ages)

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 22:25:07 CDT 2005

On 10/19/05, Tony Duell <ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > Real nerds use Fischer-Technik.

I saw that stuff in the early 80s and couldn't come close to affording it.

> Fischer Technik has gone down spectacularly since I was a kid. In the old
> days there were fairly simple elecrronic modules (alas so expensive that
> I couldn't afford enough of them) -- things like a double pole changeover
> relay, analogue voltage comparator, AND gate, OR gate, flip-flop,
> monotstable, etc.

I remember that stuff - in particular, I remember enough logic for an
elevator controller and a traffic light.

I'd _love_ a way to home-brew some sort of snap-together logic toy.
For that matter, I'd love a way to make something like a DEC Logic Lab
from stuff around the house (i.e. - a 2 sq ft board covered with logic
and plug points)... One could use banana jacks, etc., for the
interconnects, but at retail pricing, that would start to add up to
real money real fast.

-ethan