Wondering which OS to use (PDP-8/A)

djg at pdp8.net djg at pdp8.net
Thu Oct 20 17:19:07 CDT 2005

> Now that I have an apparently functioning PDP-8/A with 16K of core, and
> (hopefully soon) a working RL02, I am wondering what operating system
> would be appropriate. Currently I don't have any other input device aside
> from the programmer's panel and the keyboard, so naturally I need something
> that can be booted from an RL02...
>
> Any recommendations? Will software written for, say, an 8/E or 8/I run on
> an 8/A without patching?
>
>Could I run OS/8? TSS/8? Many years ago I used to have access to a TTY
>timeshare d to an 8/E running Edusystem 50 (TSS/8) and would like
>that "feel" again...

The 8/A was compatible with the earlier machines so software should work
unless they were requiring an option which isn't on the 8/A.  OS/8
is your best bet.  TSS/8 won't work with an RL drive.

For multi user operating systems the only one that will run on your
hardware is Multos-8.  The version that has been recovered doesn't seem
to operate well though.