Weird BiPolar ROM programmer

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Oct 21 00:34:33 CDT 2005

On 10/20/2005 at 8:48 PM Joe R. wrote:

>I was out today and found an interesting looking box made by Aydin
>Controls. It looks like a BiPolar PROM programmer. It has two 8 pin ZIP
>sockets marked Read and two others marked Program along with several LED
>diplays (TIL 311s! :-) and a lot of switches and pushbuttons on it.

8 pin or 16 pin ZIF sockets?  A bipolar 8 pin PROM I'm not familiar with.
However, a possibility might be something like the Xicor X2444 - a 256 bit
serial-access EEPROM, which was contemporary with your box.  Darned useful
little chip too--TTL compatible--can be programmed with a bit of software
driving a parallel port.  I've got a bunch of them in my hellbox and like
to use them where I need a little non-volatile information.

Cheers,
Chuck