OT: Re: audio insanity

Paul Koning pkoning at equallogic.com
Fri Oct 21 16:08:35 CDT 2005

>>>>> "woodelf" == woodelf  <bfranchuk at jetnet.ab.ca> writes:

 woodelf> I suspect the the power supplies have the most snake
 woodelf> oil. 90% of all the power supplies I have seen looking for a
 woodelf> good valve amp schematic have heavy filtering but very
 woodelf> little regulation.  My 115 volt ac is about 123 volts out
 woodelf> here.

That doesn't make the power supplies snake oily.  Tubes are generally
not picky about the supply voltage, so no regulation is needed for
good performance.  There are a few exceptions: precision oscillators,
and traveling wave tubes.  But your basic tetrode or pentode amp is
quite uncritical; regulators would just be unnecessary bulk.

      paul