Any own an 11/725...?

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Sun Oct 23 15:42:50 CDT 2005

> Tony Duell wrote:
> > Hmmmm....  I find the 11/730 to be a very interesting design. It's almost
> > all simple PALs.
>
> Isn't the 8700/8800 mostly bitslice chips?

You might well be right. Are the prints available anywhere?

The 11/730, of course, is mostly PALs (as I said) with some RAM as a
control store, 8 off 2901s as the ALU, and an 8085 (I think) to load the
control store, etc. One day I am going to look into modifying the
microcode of that machine...

The 11/730 has the major advantage for me that it's quite small (the CPU
is a single 10.5" box, and I cna easily lift it). There are other small
VAXenm but they all have nasty custom single-chip CPUs in them.