VMS Drive Cleanup Assist

Adrian Graham witchy at binarydinosaurs.co.uk
Wed Oct 26 16:10:13 CDT 2005

On 26/10/05 19:49, "Erik Klein" <classiccmp at vintage-computer.com> wrote:

> The question is: how do I clean the drives completely without any real
> chance of data being recovered?  The only other option would be to leave
> the drives behind so they can be crushed.

Later versions of VMS have an $init/erase command that physically writes
zeroes to the disk; the best way of properly initialising is to put the
drives through a degausser but even that might not please the security
conscious.

I can't remember which version that command became available though.....6.2?

Cheers