VMS Drive Cleanup Assist

Paul Koning pkoning at equallogic.com
Wed Oct 26 16:59:50 CDT 2005

 Adrian> On 26/10/05 22:18, "Paul Koning" <pkoning at equallogic.com>
 Adrian> wrote:

 >> NO!  That will destroy your drives permanently.  If you do that,
 >> you'll erase the servo data, which means that all you have left is
 >> a paperweight.

 Adrian> Wrong choice of words for me, I meant the way to properly
 Adrian> erase. For a company shipping a retired system out the door
 Adrian> there isn't really a way of convincing them that once a drive
 Adrian> is initialised by the OS it's not possible to get the data
 Adrian> back so it's usually easier to leave the drives behind.

I think that depends on two things: how well the people understand
technology, and how much they are worried about extreme attacks by 3
letter agencies with billion-dollar budgets.

Re the latter: I think those agencies themselves have a simple rule:
shred and/or incinerate all disk drives.

Re the former: there are lots of perfectly good disk erase tools out
there.  "Autoclave" (http://staff.washington.edu/jdlarios/autoclave/)
was one of those, but it seems to be retired.  Except when you have
billion dollar attackers, those are entirely adequate.  That's
especially true with modern disk drives, where the margins are far
lower so the older "mil spec multi pass erase" techniques are far less
relevant.

	paul