PC Ephemera

Joe R. rigdonj at cfl.rr.com
Wed Oct 26 20:34:28 CDT 2005

At 04:36 PM 10/26/05 -0700, you wrote:
>Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
>

>>> I'd have thought this was worth saving if it's related to the 5150
>>> XT, or at
>>> least it is to me. I'm trying and failing miserably to find an XT
>>> with a 64K
>>> motherboard, purely because I guess people upgraded them as soon as they
>>> could afford to.
>>

>> Would there be any way to reliably estmate the percentage of XT's that
>> were upgraded with Sixpack (or similar) cards?
>>
>> Peace...  Sridhar
>>

>I would be interested in seeing a list of the variations of the PC (with
>/ without tape interface) and the XT
>as well as the AT.  the things I'm interested in is memory config (which
>type chips) number of ISA slots,
>and the on board varations such as having or omitting the tape interface
>present on the original PC. (those
>sort of variants).

   Get a copy of Upgrading and Repairing PCs by Mueller. It has all those
details plus things like BIOS versions and dates, part numbers for all the
cards, details on the various power supplies, etc. It's still in
publication but I doubt the new editions still have all the details for the
PC, XTs and ATs. I found a first edition in a surplus store last week and
it gives loads of details about the early PCs. Check the used book stores,
libraries, E-bay, etc and you should be able to find an early edition
without too much trouble.

   Joe