PC Ephemera

Scott Stevens chenmel at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 27 01:07:58 CDT 2005

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 00:07:44 +0100
Adrian Graham <witchy at binarydinosaurs.co.uk> wrote:

> On 26/10/05 23:44, "Chuck Guzis" <cclist at sydex.com> wrote:
>
> > I've also got the guide by Purple Computing for their Purple -2 Kit on how
> > to put 256K on your PC motherboard by cutting and changing a few jumpers
> > and then adding a board that attaches over the memory array that holds 64K
> > DRAMS.  I'd forgotten that the original PC was limitied to 64K on the mobo.
>
> I'd have thought this was worth saving if it's related to the 5150 XT, or at
> least it is to me. I'm trying and failing miserably to find an XT with a 64K
> motherboard, purely because I guess people upgraded them as soon as they
> could afford to.

It wouldn't be an XT, it would be a 'PC' and not many were made with the 64K motherboard.  That is called a 'PC-1' to differentiate it from a 'PC-2' which had the 256K motherboard.

And all the PC (pre-XT) machines had the wider-slot-spacing of the original PC, so it's not likely anybody 'upgraded' the motherboard in an original case to an XT or XT-clone motherboard.

(I was one of the exceptions, I had to chop a non-standard-slot-spacing case for my first 'PC' machine which was an XT clone motherboard in a Leading Edge Model D case, with a 63.5 watt power supply out of a PC that I had to physically remove from the original IBM enclosure and just bolt the circuit board in the 'Model D' case.  But that was back when a working Model D was too expensive for me, as was a real XT Clone Case, etc. etc.  So I had a cheapskate franken-computer for a long while. Boy that was an ugly and awkward hack looking back now.)

--
http://sasteven.multics.org/MacSE30/MacSE30.html