PC Ephemera

Jim Leonard trixter at oldskool.org
Thu Oct 27 02:28:28 CDT 2005

Fred Cisin wrote:
>>>One of these days,  I've got to find the original power supply (black with
>>>white switch), and take the extra drives, boards, ROMs, etc. out of my 16K
>>>5150 before I sell it.  Are people actually paying money for those things?
>>
> On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, Jim Leonard wrote:
>
>>Yes.  More if you leave them in :-)
>
> Really??
> I assumed that it would be worth more with IBM parts in it.

Yes, but that's not what you wrote.  You never said you'd put the original IBM
parts back in.

I love my 5150, but the RAM on the CGA card is going; I can see some bits
randomly toggling back and forth while in graphics mode (doesn't happen in text
mode, oddly).  However, I'd STILL take an original CGA card because the clone
cards have different textmode fonts in ROM (presumably to avoid copyright
infringement) and all of the non-IBM fonts look quite horrid.

> I used it for 20+ years as a secondary machine for miscellaneous stuff.

I still use mine for assembler programming.  I figure if I can make it work on
a 5150, it will work anywhere ;-)  But in all seriousness it forces me to
program well.
--
Jim Leonard (trixter at oldskool.org)                    http://www.oldskool.org/
Want to help an ambitious games project?             http://www.mobygames.com/