WPS All in One files...

Kevin Handy kth at srv.net
Tue Sep 6 18:43:41 CDT 2005

Curt @ Atari Museum wrote:

> I wasn't sure on that, I figured maybe WPS evolved out of Word-11.

Word-11 was writted by DPD(?Data Processing Design?)
to bring WPS-8 capabilities to the PDP-11.
Originally written in basic, it was later partly recoded
into something else that compiled into executable code
(probably macro and basic+2) to speed it up.
DEC later bought it and renamed it to DecWord, iirc.

It could communicate with a WPS-8 system and transfer
files, but they didn't used the same file format.
It was similiar, but Word-11 was based on 8-bit chars,
while WPS was based on 12-bit chars.

I once started a program to convert Word-11 files to
WordPerfect, but don't know what happened to that
version. I don't have any Word-11 files anymore
anyway.