OT: Rescued oily classics, was Re: Suggestions for a mini?

Paul Koning pkoning at equallogic.com
Thu Sep 15 09:38:59 CDT 2005

 Jules> Gordon JC Pearce wrote:
 >> Allison wrote:
 >>
 >>> Nah,
 >>>
 >>> A bug eyed sprite will do nicely.
 >>>
 >> There were a couple at a classic car garage that was closing down,
 >> unfinished projects.  More MGBs (chrome and rubber bumpers) than
 >> I've ever seen altogether.

 Jules> It's funny being in the US and seeing the way the lines on
 Jules> imported classic cars are so spoiled by the rubber bumpers and
 Jules> extra lights etc. - makes me wonder what the laws are
 Jules> regarding putting such vehicles back as they were originally
 Jules> designed...

Recent imports aren't so bad.  For a while, small manufacturers didn't
have a clue on how to handle the requirements and hacked up quick and
dirty and ugly solutions.

You can change any car within the rules that applied for its model
year.  For older cars that means you can make it much better than the
import model, but perhaps not exactly like the European model.

An example of a company that gets this right is Morgan.  Their US
models look just like the European ones -- really nice.

       paul