Scan doubling, was Re: looking for a book on monitor theory

Tom Jennings tomj at wps.com
Tue Sep 20 16:41:12 CDT 2005

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005, Chris M wrote:

> I'm sure you have a better handle on this then I do,
> but they're built not to go below ~32khz these days,
> because there's no reason to. The earlier multisyncs
> went down to 15.75khz. I wasn't suggesting it wouldn't
> be a sizeable job. Might not be practical, who knows.
> It would just be nice to have a way of producing an
> output from a vintage puter in the absence of anything
> older, and larger (19"+).

Aren't there relatively inexpensive scan converters these days?
Iv'e used a few, input VGA output TV, nasty-looking chinese-made
boxes for $80 or so. Fancy ones do buffering and complex
conversions, but shouldn't be needed here. I too have a bias
towards home-brew but there's times when forking over cash solves
the problem instanter.