history of homedirs on unices

John Foust jfoust at threedee.com
Sat Sep 24 08:15:29 CDT 2005

At 07:55 AM 9/24/2005, Tim Shoppa wrote:
>Partitions do come in handy for many reasons of convenience, but
>most of the stale recommendations are more of an inconvenience now.

But the concept of putting all the user's data in a single place
and not all over the drive and mixed-in with executables, that's
still relevant.

Just yesterday, like many times before, I was helping a client try to
grasp all the subtle info we'd need to know to back-up and restore a
home Windows PC.  Where does every app put its data and settings?
In a file?  In the registry?  Quickbooks defaults to putting company
files in its Program Files directory, Outlook hides its files under
the user's My Documents tree, you can't drag My Documents to WinXP's
CD-writing window because it puts all its temp files there, too,
and gets confused because you're asking to recurse, so you curse, etc.

- John