Quest for DEC LPS-40 Documentation

John C. Ellingboe john at guntersville.net
Sat Sep 24 21:41:42 CDT 2005

Allison wrote:

> >Subject: Re: Quest for DEC LPS-40 Documentation
> >   From: "John C. Ellingboe" <john at guntersville.net>
> >   Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 19:43:04 -0500
> >     To: General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
> >
> >I'm not all that interested in the postscript books except it
> >would be nice to have a full set of applicable docs.  The
> >service repair guide is the main one that I need to locate.  The
> >host installation and management guides are probably superseded
> >by the newer software provided with the layered products for VMS
> >7.x so they aren't quite as important.  The client installation
> >and management guides could contain information that is hardware
> >specific and would be useful.
>
> I have the red green and blue AW postscript books.  They were
> bought under DEC cost center when I began that project. Still
> refer to them.
>
> There were a few of the DOCs on system as help files and readable
> docs in bookreader format.  I'm sure some made it to CD.  Also
> the LPS20 used the same host system software package with the
> difference for the load image for the printer.  The LPS40, 20
> and later 32 used a MOP loaded system image for the printer
> which was uVAX based.
>
> >Since I have never had the privilege to install and set up one
> >of these printers I would rather have plenty of information.  I
> >also don't try to maintain a strict museum quality collection
> >but I do like to obtain the applicable documents to go with the
> >equipment that I have.
>
> Likely I still remember all of it.  I've trained the FS trainers
> and at one time could rip a LPS40 down the bones and reassemble
> it.  Still have part of the IGRP and HeNe laser from the print
> engine.  My MVII is really an ex MV from an LPS40.
>
> I spent from 1983 to 1990 as part of that project along with LN01S
> LA75, LN03 and a few other printing bits.
>
> Allison

It sounds like I might have to harass/pester you a bit when I
get started setting this beast up. :-)  I have used them before
and was quite impressed with the speed, quality and
dependability.  I finally located this one and it didn't get
away like some others had so hopefully I can get rid of the
little desktop junkers that give me so much trouble.

I figured that the help and bookreader files might get me
through the host parts but the only thing I have otherwise is
the installation and operators guides that were in the pocket
inside the door.  I would expect to have to do some minor print
engine maintenance since it hasn't been used for a while.