USB Power

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Tue Sep 27 11:39:12 CDT 2005

On 9/27/2005 at 12:24 AM Tim Riker wrote:

>The driver is still available from Toshiba, but only for windows 95:
>
>http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_modSel.jsp
>
>enter desktop/infinia/7200 (for example) then grab the InTouch module
>driver for windows 95.
>
>Course then the fun begins. I recommend Win95 in a VMWare session under
>Linux and dumping the protocol from there. ;-)

Tim, I'm familiar with the available drivers, but there are several types of InTouch modules, all mutually incompatible.  Toshiba had their own mods to the BIOS (and apparently some peculiar USB hacks).  I've got a 7202 and a 7230 Infinia here and can tell you that the 7200 driver software doesn't work on them or any other PC that I've tried it on--and that the 7200 InTouch (which I have the bunch of) is substantially different from the InTouch modules that came with the two above-mentioned systems (they don't have an LCD display, for example, and the chipset is completely different internally).

I suppose I could take a lot of time disassembling the 7200 drivers and try to figure out what's going on, but can't find a reason why I'd want to do it.   I bought the carton because a client needed a couple of these and purchasing the carton was cheaper than buying them individually.

The Infinia was a love-hate thing for many people, like the IBM multimedia PC that came out at about the same time.  To me, they're just another couple of systems hanging around that occasionally come in useful for testing.

Cheers,
Chuck