PalmOS no more? :(

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Wed Sep 28 16:28:26 CDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-28 at 12:19 -0700, Vintage Computer Festival wrote:

> As I've stated before, the Psion Series 5 trumps everything: full
> keyboard, standard memory card slot, touchscreen, backlighting, works on
> two standard AAs for about 40 hours (normal use, no backlighting), serial
> port adapter cable, etc.  Standard software includes web browser and
> TCP/IP suite.  I was able to find a freeware telnet client and, in
> combination with my now defunct wireless internet modem, used to be able
> to read e-mail off my server while driving down the highway (literally).

Looks pretty cool on the specs. Do you find the keyboard usable? General
reliability? Proprietary connectors, probably... is the serial lead
easily available? These seems to be going for about 30-100 pounds on
ebay. Then add the shipping cost from GB.

Genuine questions, not trying to make a comparison. My ideal compromise
between a PDA and a notebook would be something like the TRS-80 Model
100 but with a faster CPU, flash port, modern connectivity. But the
Psion leans too much toward the PDA end for me.

> Your Palms are silly toys.

What list am I reading?

-- John.