Old apple ascii keyboard

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at blazenet.net
Tue Apr 4 17:20:08 CDT 2006

On Tuesday 04 April 2006 05:05 pm, Scott Austin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking about building one of obtronix's apple 1 (ebay 8790381782),
> but he doesn't supply a keyboard with these latest kits (like he used to).
>  These are the old-old ascii  style.  Connection to the keyboard is via a
> socketed 16 pin dip.  The signals are 7-bit parallel with a strobe signal.
> Gnd and +5v are supplied to the keyboard from the Apple1.  I'm told that
> Apple II and II+, early Franklin apple-clone systems used a compatible
> keyboard.  The Apple 1 manual: "Any ASCII encoded keyboard, with positive
> data outputs, interfaces with the Apple system via a "DIP" connector."
>
> I've been looking around for a keyboard, without cannibalizing working
> systems (even the Franklin).
>
> Any of you have working keyboards on non-working Apple
> II/II+/Franklin-clone that you are willing to part with?

I had an empty Franklin mainboard and disk interface card one time some years
back,  and this is part of the reason why I eventually let it go to some kid
that wanted to mess with it instead of building it up like I'd originally
intended.

I remember when I put the BBII together being told,  on the subject of
interfacing an ASCII keyboard,  that Apple-type keyboards (and clones of
them) would specifically _not_ work because they set the high bit.  Dunno if
this hardware you're looking at expects that or if it's even a consideration
at all,  but figured it would't hurt to mention it.

-
M Dakin