IRIX 5.3 system: any access?

Jules Richardson julesrichardsonuk at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Apr 11 14:59:39 CDT 2006

John Allain wrote:
> Speaking of 3D...
> Feeling reminiscent, I picked up am sgi Indigo2 at a fair price...
> This is the first sgi I've owned, after various bouts of programming
> and managing the older models for large companies.
>
> Anyway, I'm getting the impression that there's no way to log in to
> 5.3 without a password (single mode is even pwded).  So, anybody
> know an exploit

Hmm, I  think Linux can read and write SGI filesystems (and understand SGI
disklabels) these days - in which case dropping the system drive into a nearby
Linux box and mounting the SGI's root partition should sort you out.

Or you can hook the drive up to a Linux box, locate and edit the necessary
disk block by hand; been there, done that before...

cheers

Jules