IRIX 5.3 system: any access?

jim stephens jwstephens at msm.umr.edu
Fri Apr 14 16:11:15 CDT 2006

Ryan Blair wrote:

>On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 13:38:41 -0700
>jim stephens <jwstephens at msm.umr.edu> wrote:
><snip>
>

>I've never had trouble reading any IRIX disks (or install media, for
>that matter) formatted with EFS under Linux, unless the filesystem was
>already corrupted. I use Linux's EFS support fairly frequently (some
>of the IRIX install media are EFS), since I use Linux as a netinstall
>server for IRIX. Works fine in 2.4.x and 2.6.x .
>
>-Ryan

do you mount cdroms on linux, or remove hard drives from an sgi system,
move them to
linux for the netinstall?  If you store the data from some source and
serve it up over the
network from a linux system, then it is stored on the linux system with
a linux supported
file type.

if you do what I mentioned above, pull a formated drive from an SGI
system and put it on
a linux system which is on a PC, then there will have to be some
allowance made for the
fact that there is no PC partition table, but just the raw file system
starting at block 0.

whatever is on a cdrom usually requires a different file system driver
than would be used to
access the file system on a hard drive device, or a layer that deals
with partitions, etc
which a different for a cdrom than for a hard disk block device.
similar goes on with
accessing usb sticks as block devices.