someone else with an adds mentor 2000

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Fri Apr 14 23:23:03 CDT 2006

at least as of 2003..
maybe he turned up some docs

http://www.digibarn.com/weblog/blogger1.html

 From Eddie Thomas (pasnocone at earthlink.net)
Gentlemen:
I’ve been a hobbyist/engineer of PC systems since I can remember. I
was introduced to computers in 1974. I’ve designed one 8086 system
for the S-100 during the winter of 81/82 of which never made
production. At that time I also laid out the concept of CABLE MODEMS
for mass bi-directional public communications. The idea was too far
fetched to be seriously taken into production back then. It’s amazing
how things change … 20 years later!

I enjoyed your documentation on the ALTAIR 8800. I stumbled upon your
site as I searched for S-100 prototyping boards. Although I currently
live in PA, I believe I have the original schematics published in
Popular Electronics (Jan ’75) for the ALTAIR stashed in the attic in
NJ. I also believe I have most of the Popular Electronics issues
which addressed the S-100 based systems. I have not found any other
rags that have this information available. I’d be happy to forward
the articles if you’d like. I will contact P.E. in regards to
duplicating this info as to not violate copyright laws. S-100 was
onto something before Big Blue stomped S-100 like a New York City roach.

Here's a question. I am currently searching for information for the
ADDS Mentor 2000. It uses the Zilog 8001 segmented processor under
the PICK OS. I have no background in PICK OS. So far the only
confirmed operation is the POST. MENTOR 2000 specific manuals would
be greatly appreciated. PICK OS manuals or souces to gain some tech
knowledge into the workings would also be appreciated.

Trying some DOS and CP-M style commands yielded this: The machine
attempts and fails to find a TAPE DRIVE and HARD DRIVE. The tape
drive interface card is inoperative [installing it stops the POST].
The original 68 Meg H/D (Hitachi 511-8, ST-502 MFM) was reused years
ago in a Netware Server. I am looking for hardware manuals
specifically detailing hardware interface characteristics and/or this
system's bus. I can engineer a compatible ISA interface for bi-
directional communications to my Intel 302-25 PC if I can find the
BUS pinouts. The Zilog 8000 series is similar to the Z80 in timing
characteristics for BUS I/O operations.

In the event I can finally gain external I/O to this system I've
located several OS's for the Zilog 8000 family, of which some re-
writes will be required to gain full system functionality. It's
apparent the OS is in two EPROMs, of which will be preserved.

It is my intention to engineer an updated I/O card to support Floppy
disks, IDE hard drives, newer memory products and Ethernet. AT&T
originally supported the ADDS systems. NCR (AT&T’s sellout company)
would supply information as would some scarce sources for an
exuberant price.

ALSO I would like to find information on the WD-1002 HDO hard drive
controller card (used in the TANDY PC, I believe) Specifically, I
need cable signaling information so possibly to use an IDE translator
adaptor. I've found one source but have not heard back from them in
about 6 weeks.

Here’s a list of what hardware is installed (original):

1: CPU Card  Zilog Z8001  w/socket for 2nd processor (4 layer)
a) ADMIN Serial Port header
b) TWO WD-1002 interface port headers
c) Front Panel Control header

2: 16 RS-232 serial / 1 parallel port (4 layer)
a) Two 50 pin headers (to 2 banks of 8 9-pin serial ports on rear)
b) One parallel port header

3: 256K memory card  Parity Checked (4 layer)
a) 4 banks of 9 4164’s

4: 3 port QIC-02 tape interface (defective) (2 layer, EZ 2 trace/repair)

5: Hitachi 511-8 68 MB H/D w/WD-1002-1 HDO daughter card

6: Archive 60 MB Tape Drive, Full height (defective)

Although the ADDS Mentor BUS is 100 pin, it is quite obvious it is
NOT S-100 just by examining the power assignments.

I am currently diagnosing the TAPE DRIVE interface card  hopefully
have it back in operation soon. I have a newer Archive QIC-02 drive
that should work. It can read/write 60, 120 and 250 MB tapes.

Any information, sites and/or folks wishing to get involved w/my
resurrection of the ADDS Mentor 2000 are welcome to contact me at:

pasnocone at earthlink.net

Please put ‘Mentor 2000’ in the subject line

Best of luck and congratulations on a great start with the Museum!

Eddie