8080 Assembler-Text Editor (ATE)

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Sun Apr 16 16:01:32 CDT 2006

> > Do you want to rephrase that?  I do recall a simple assembler that did not
> > implement alpha constant strings longer than 2 bytes (as a DW).  To code a
> > long string you had to do something like this:
> >
> > 	DW "EH"
> > 	DW	"LL"
> > 	DW	" O"
> > 	DW	"OW"
> > 	DW	"LR"
> > 	DW	" D"

I seem to rememebr the cassette-based editor/assembler I had for the
TRS-80 Model 1 was like that. I am not even sure it supported ASCII
characters as constants, you may have had to enter everything in Hex

> > Very tedious!

[...]

> More like:
>   JMP
>   DW THERE
>
> THERE
>   ; rest of code

I think (although I don't have it), the assembler for the Philips P850
was like that (you had to put the second word of 2-word instructions as a
constant). The assemblers for the other P800 series machines (which had a
lot more memory) did it more as you'd expect.