FORTRAN Adventure (was Re: RL02 problem)

Rick Bensene rickb at bensene.com
Sat Apr 22 15:09:46 CDT 2006

My first experience with Adventure was on the CDC Cyber 73 at Tektronix
in
1977-'78.  Wouldn't run on the (coolest ever) console, but only on
remote terminals, typically old Tek 4010's DVST terminals (and some
4002A's, which were probably one of the coolest terminals made, IMHO)
which were connected through a MODCOMP II front-end machine for serving
lots of terminals via a massive panel of RS-232 connections.  Operating
system was KRONOS.

I'm wondering if the port that we had came from you? I think, somewhere,
I have a source listing of it on greenline 132 column paper, but it
might take a while to find it.  Other than the cool graphics games that
could be played on the console (chess, spacewars, and a few others that
I can't remember off hand). Adventure was the best there was -- and it
probably contributed to the biggest waste of "expensive" computer time
in its day (back in the days when time on the machine was accounted for,
and charged-back to each cost-center who used it).

Rick Bensene
The Old Calculator Web Museum
http://oldcalculatormuseum.com