VAX ADVENTURE, was Re: RL02 problem

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Sat Apr 22 17:45:14 CDT 2006

"Gooijen, Henk" <henk.gooijen at oce.com> wrote:

 > Cool!  Thanks Jim.
 > Ethan's and your response have exact the same hh:mm time stamp!
 > (at least on my computer).
 > For my 11/750 I will need a copy of some OpenVMS version first, because I
 > promised to wipe the disks, otherwise I could only get the system without
 > the disks. I wanted the cab with the three RA81's too, and the HSC70,
 > although I am not sure if the HSC70 will ever be useful as the L0009 and
 > internal cabling is not in the 11/750.
 > And I have read that you need besides the L0009 more stuff ... need
to find
 > out what the HSC70 requires, and maybe I come to the conclusion that the
 > HSC70 is only taking up space ... I am not planning to build a cluster
 > (don't know anything about that stuff either), but ... never say
never  > :-)

The HSC will require a CI750, which is a whole cabinet of it's own.
If you don't have that one, you're out of luck.

 > I posted a request for Zork (PDP-11) on Amazon a year ago, but
 > never had any response. So, your link to the VMS version is great!

Hmm. I saw that ZEMU was mentioned later in this discussion as well, but
let me start by asking if you're talking about the Infocom commercial
release, or the FORTRAN port called DUNGEON is what you're thinking of?

Anyway, ZEMU exists, and works just fine. However, Megan have not done
anything in a long while, so I'm not sure if it works as is on RT-11 or
not. If someone who have RT-11 is willing to look at it, I'd be grateful.
The RSX version is just fine, though. Anyone who wants to try, just log
into MIM.

--------------
Junk:/home/bqt> telnet mim.update.uu.se
Trying 130.238.19.211...
Connected to mim.update.uu.se.
Escape character is '^]'.
This is MIM.Update.UU.SE

  hel guest/guest

RSX-11M-PLUS V4.6   BL87mP  [1,54] System    MIM
23-APR-06 00:38    Logged on Terminal TT4:  as GST47

Good Morning

         *                                                               *
         *                    Welcome to RSX-11M-PLUS                    *
         *                                                               *
         *                  Version 4.6  Base level 87                   *
         *                                                               *
         *                   This is Mim.Update.UU.SE                    *
         *                       (Running on E11)                        *

         If you have any problems, or want to ask questions, don't
         be afraid to write me a mail.

MIM is a E11 replacement for Magica, which can't be run 24/7 right now
because of costs. Magica is still around, and occasionally online.
The E11 license for MIM was kindly donated by John Wilson of DBIT.
(Check out www.dbit.com for more information).

*** Try HELP FUN for more fun ***
*** Try HELP LOCAL for information about compilers and stuff on MIM ***
*** A small FAQ have been written. Do "MORE FAQ" ***

*** Note that help on compiling and linking are available at HELP LOCAL ***

                         Johnny (bqt at update.uu.se)

     Last interactive login on Friday, April 21, 2006  21:19:22 (TT4:)
     Last batch login on Saturday, August 9, 1997  17:36:13

$ @LB:[1,2]SYSLOGIN.CMD
What is your name? Johnny

RSX-11M-PLUS BL87mP (MIM   ) 1920K PDP-11/74 at 00:38:50.8, 23-APR-06
Users=3  Idle=100%  Task=.IDLE.  Up: 7 days, 22:53.  Ticks=3  Errseq=0.

user             task      uic     pri  where  state  size(K) ioc  par
JOHNNY          AT.T4  * [ Self  ]  64   TT4  Stopped  4/23       GEN
J Billquist     MCET44   [ Oper  ]  50  _TT44 Stopped  2/8        GEN
J Billquist     MCET5    [ Oper  ]  50  _TT5  Stopped  2/8        GEN
JOHNNY          WHOT4  * [ Self  ]  50   TT4  Running  1/4        GEN

Welcome to Magica.
This is a guest account. Please behave.

If you'd like an account of you own, write an email to
Johnny Billquist <bqt at update.uu.se> saying so.
Please also include the following information about you:
1) Your full name.
2) A working email address to you. (Not an anonymous one)
3) A line or two about who you are.
4) A password for your account.

If you have any other requests or wishes, just include them too, and
we'll see what can be fixed.

         /Johnny
$ zem /li
-- System games --
Game      Release Serial Inform Z-Machine
ADVENT    5       961209 6.05   5
AMFV      77      850814        4
BALLYHOO  97      851218        3
BEYONDZOR 57      871221        5
BOMBER    3       971123 6.13   5
BORDERZON 9       871008        5
BUREAUCRA 116     870602        4
CUTTHROAT 23      840809        3
DEADLINE  27      831005        3
DOGSLIFE  1       981015 6.15   5
DUNGEON   12      990623 6.14   5
ENCHANTER 29      860820        3
HITCHHIKE 31      871119        5
HOLLYWOOD 37      861215        3
INFIDEL   22      830916        3
LEATHER   59      860730        3
LURKING   203     870506        3
MOONMIST  9       861022        3
NORDANDBE 19      870722        4
PLANETFAL 37      851003        3
PLUNDERER 26      870730        3
SAMEGAME  1       980731 6.15   5
SEASTALKE 16      850603        3
SHERLOCK  21      871214        5
SORCERER  15      851108        3
SPACEZ    1       980710 6.15   5
SPELLBREA 87      860904        3
STARCROSS 17      821021        3
STATIONFA 107     870430        3
SUSPECT   14      841005        3
SUSPENDED 8       840521        3
TRINITY   12      860926        4
WISHBRING 69      850920        3
WITNESS   22      840924        3
ZOKOBAN   1       990810 6.21   5
ZORK1     88      840726        3
ZORK2     48      840904        3
ZORK3     17      840727        3
ZTUU      16      970828 6.13   5
$
------------------------

Oh, and the FORTRAN version is also around:

------------------------
$ dun
Welcome to Dungeon.                     This version created 16-Jan-03.
This is an open field west of a white house with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.
A rubber mat saying "Welcome to Dungeon!" lies by the door.
 >history
Revision history:

16-Jan-03       Backport to RSX-11M-PLUS (V3.2C).
20-Oct-94       Bug fixes (V3.2B).
01-Oct-94       Bug fixes (V3.2A).
01-Feb-94       Portable VMS/UNIX version (V3.1A).
01-Jan-90       Portable version (V3.0A).
18-Oct-80       Revised DECUS version (V2.6A).
18-Jul-80       Transportable data base file (V2.5A).
28-Feb-80       Compressed text file (V2.4A).
15-Nov-79       Bug fixes (V2.3A).
18-Jan-79       Revised DECUS version (V2.2A).
10-Oct-78       Puzzle Room (V2.1A).
10-Sep-78       Endgame (V2.0A).
10-Aug-78       DECUS version (V1.1B).
14-Jun-78       Public version with parser (V1.1A).
04-Mar-78       Debugging version (V1.0A).
 >quit
Your score would be 0 [total of 616 points], in 2 moves.
This gives you the rank of Beginner.
Do you wish to leave the game?
Ok.
$