New to the list

Jules Richardson julesrichardsonuk at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Aug 3 11:31:52 CDT 2006

Chuck Guzis wrote:
> No, it's just the level of complexity that software's evolved.  Display
> cards have come a long way from simple bit-mapped graphics and the level of
> driver support needed for relatively simple devices is more than you'd
> think.

How much has the sales side changed? I mean, I suspect for a typical user just
doing some word processing etc., a simple bitmapped display is fine - they
don't *need* the high speed of a card that has a lot more features.

Printers are a case in point too - a parallel port does that job just fine,
yet it's hard to find a machine that doesn't have more complicated USB
interfaces on it, and a printer's now expected to use that.

It just seems that in a lot of situations all that extra hardware and software
complexity isn't actually necessary - an average user doesn't actually make
use of it anyway and could just as easily get by with simpler hardware.

I get the impression that the high-end market was always this way - with
companies / sales-force trying to convince people that they *needed* the
latest gizmo even if they didn't. For the home market though, it seems like a
more recent thing.

e.g. take PCs (please! ;)  - Back in the early 90's you could choose whether
to have an accelerated graphics card or not, a caching disk controller or not,
a CDROM drive, a large or small hard disk etc. - at least the customer had the
choice. These days they don't get given that, and everyone has to have the
complexity whether they actually want/need it or not...

cheers

Jules

--
A. Because it destroys the natural flow of conversation.
Q. What's wrong with top posting ?