Alpha C compilers

Steven N. Hirsch shirsch at adelphia.net
Fri Aug 4 19:17:32 CDT 2006

On Thu, 3 Aug 2006, Scott Quinn wrote:

>  Perhaps I'm reading http://h30097.www3.hp.com/noncommercial-unix/
> wrong, but the "full suite of development tools" certainly seems as
> though it would include compilers, although I guess that MBAs play with
> language often. I know for a positive fact that the VMS program includes
> compilers (C, C++, FORTRAN, BASIC, MACRO (VAX-MACRO on AXP)

Unless I'm suffering from early-onset senility, I recall that the hobbyist
distribution had media and licensing for the C compiler (and linker,
debugger, headers, etc, etc).  The C++ compiler requires a you-pay-for-it
type license. What makes me reasonably sure is that a few years back, they
(Compaq at the time) sent me e-mail inviting participation in the beta
program for cxx next-generation.  After downloading it, I discovered I
couldn't run it and dropped their sales engineering folks a note asking
about this.  They told me that contacting the hobbyist licensee's was an
error and that I was not eligible for the program.

You are correct that OpenVMS included all the good stuff.  The person I
corresponded with admitted his disappointment at not being able to offer
me a hobby license for Alpha, but apparently the policy was set upstairs
from where he sat!

Steve