Tape Drive & Tape Archival questions...

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at verizon.net
Sun Aug 6 12:29:15 CDT 2006

On Saturday 05 August 2006 10:42 pm, Josh Dersch wrote:
> I've recently inherited a ComputerVision CADDStation (basically a
> rebadged Sun3 machine) and a pile of tapes of software for it from Scott
> Quinn.  Before I work on getting the machine up and running again, I
> have two tasks I'd like to take care of, in no particular order:
>
> 1. Repairing the CADDStation's tape drive.
> 2. Archiving the tapes in a useful format.
>
> For taking care of #1, as far as I can tell the drive works except for a
> rubber wheel that's turned to this lovely gooey tar.
<...>
> Anyone have any idea how feasible it is to find a replacement wheel for this
> drive?  Any good places to look that you'd recommend?

It's been a really long time since I looked,  but there were companies that
used to sell all sorts of belts and rubber wheels and such for a lot of
equipment that used such.  I know that VCRs used to have several of both,
for example.  I was pleasantly surprised a while back when,  finding that our
answering machine had quite working,  I went to our local electronics
wholesaler and was able to walk in and buy a couple of belts for it to
replace the ones that were in there,  which I'd last changed somewhere back
around 1986 or so...

You might try MCM electronics,  as one possibility,  though there are no doubt
other suppliers as well that do mail-order.

Those suppliers do have cross-reference materials available,  though it's
primarily oriented toward consumer equipment.

<...>
> The tapes all appear to be QIC-24,

Do any of you guys know where I might find a list or a web page or similar
that details what all those "QIC" numbers represent?

-
M Dakin