Tape Drive & Tape Archival questions...

Don THX1138 at dakotacom.net
Mon Aug 7 18:02:10 CDT 2006

> True, but they cannot do 1-off custom. I have a handful of much-beloved
> reel-to-reel audio tape decks and turntables in need of replacement
> rubber.  Is there anyone in the world tooled up for custom belts and
> rollers anymore?

Are you sure your needs are "custom"?  Flat/toothed belts
tend to be hard to find "in variety"... but I have been able
to find almost *any* of the round or "square" (cross sectional)
belts used in most consumer gear.

Do you have an existing belt to use as a template?
Or, barring that, the diameters of the pulleys and
their center-to-center distances (from which
computing belt size is straightforward...)

Typically, these belts run $1 - $2 ... which is outrageous
when you consider you're buying a glorified "rubber band"
but a *steal* when you consider it's actual VALUE!!