Mac keyboards

Don THX1138 at dakotacom.net
Tue Aug 8 22:07:25 CDT 2006

Chuck Guzis wrote:
> On 8/7/2006 at 11:09 PM Zane H. Healy wrote:
>
>> At 9:30 PM -0700 8/7/06, Don wrote:
>> Get yourself the "Cadillac" of keyboards, the "Apple Extended
>> Keyboard II".  It's an ADB keyboard that originally sold for $160.
>> I've been using the one I'm typing this on for just short of 10
>> years.  Only one of the 3 computers I've used it on had ADB, the
>> other two are USB.  I'm currently using a G5 2x2.
>
> I'm sitting in front of an HP keyboard that was pulled new out of its box
> not six months ago.  As I look at it now, the legneds on the "A" and "J"
> keys are barely legible.  Why are keyboards such pieces of junk nowadays?
> Time to go back to my IBM model M.

When you make a *quality* keyboard, the keycaps are shot
*twice* during the molding process -- once for the legend
and once for the key itself.  So, the legend's color is
"in the plastic" instead of screened *on* the plastic.

Obviously, costs a fair bit more to do things this way.

Just like equipment cases that re *painted* vs. those
where the color is molded into the plastic.