slick bits in computers (WAS: VAXen Rule!)

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Aug 10 23:37:58 CDT 2006

On 8/10/2006 at 11:57 PM William Donzelli wrote:

>You can make switches that are cheap and nasty, and you can make
>switches that will last 100 years - and everything in between. If you
>want a fair comparison, match the HP keyboard against a quality
>"mechanical switch" keyboard, not a Chinese piece of crap. Lets face
>it, HP stuff of that era was pretty much the pinnacle of engineering.

Was the HP keyboard really that good, or merely clever?  For example, at
that same time, keyboards were using individual Hall effect switches,
sealed reed switches and wiping-contact enclosed switches.  To my eye, the
HP keyboard looks like a clever way to make a keyboard on the cheap.

Cheers,
Chuck