SMT hobby projects (was Re: group buy for homebrew CPUs?)

Stan Barr stanb at dial.pipex.com
Sat Aug 12 12:35:53 CDT 2006

Hi,

Dave McGuire said:
> Stan Barr wrote:
> > It's easy enough to make up a simple spring-loaded device that holds
> > the part in place on the board while you're soldering.  I made one
> > way back when and have used it ever since, makes life much easier.
> > Basically it's a long arm that projects over the board with a spring
> > loaded plunger at the end with a piece of a wooden toothpick to hold
> > the component in place.  A short lever allows you to raise the plunger
> > for positioning.
>
>    Can you put up photos of this?  I'd love to see what you came up
> with.  I think something like that would be very handy for me as well.

I would, but my only intact digital camera, an Apple Quicktake - so on
topic, has a battery contact corrosion problem that needs dismantling
to get at.   I'll try to draw a diagram to put up somewhere.
It's a very crude device made from odd bits of wood and metal, but
it does the job!

So much to do, so little time... :-(

--
Cheers,