KVM's

Doc Shipley doc at mdrconsult.com
Sat Aug 12 19:25:03 CDT 2006

Don wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In an attempt to cut down on the number of monitors, etc.
> here, I dragged out an old KVM (which, unfortunately, seems
> to have lost track of his wal wart!).
>
> It doesn't take long to realize that this is a non-solution:
> - keyboards are PS2, Sun, USB, ADB, etc.
> - mice are PS2, Serial, Sun, USB, ADB, etc.
> - video is Sun's 13W3, HD15, DEC's RGB, apple's DB15, etc.
>
> Does anyone make a *truly* universal KVM (i.e. so that
> I can mix and match all of these flavors)?  And, how
> outrageously priced is it?

   Cybex Commander series is as close as you'll get.  The ones I've
worked with are a backplane with cards that attach to computers or
console or other KVM units.  The computer-conected cards are jumperable
to the type of kbd/mouse/display that system expects, and they make
cables for SPARC (with 13W3 display), ADB/DB15, PS/2-HD15,
AT/serial/HD15, etc.  I've not seen USB cables, but that doesn't mean
they don't exist.  As an added bonus, they do sound if you buy the right
cables, and allow up to 4 user consoles per setup.

   The newer ones are a lot smaller, support USB, and don't have the
mix-&-match backplane.

   Fairly expensive, but common on eBay and the cables come up
reasonably cheap.

	Doc