SMT techniques (was Re: group buy for homebrew CPUs?)

Jules Richardson julesrichardsonuk at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Aug 13 03:04:34 CDT 2006

Don wrote:
>>> I think that skirts the appeal of a *real* "miniture PDP".
>>> E.g., why not just do the whole design in an FPGA?  It would
>>> be a pretty boring accomplishment.... :-(
>>
>>   Huh?  I don't think so, at least not for me.  I'm totally in love
>> with my SBC6120, which is at least a move in that direction.  I can
>> run it 24/7 and just have it available on a serial port which I can
>> get to when I'm not home, for some OS/8 hacking when I get the itch.
>
> But, you can make the move all the way "in that direction"
> and just run an emulator.  :>  I.e. the appeal is having
> the actual hardware.  And, while PDP's are reasonably
> commonplace, having a *tiny* one (imagine a 10x10x10 8/i
> sitting on your COFFEE TABLE  :> ) would be truly unique.

If you're going to build a miniature system out of modern components, why not
just use a FPGA? :-)

Once the decision's been made to not stick with the original hardware, then
surely any construction technique is fair game?

--
A. Because it destroys the natural flow of conversation.
Q. What's wrong with top posting ?