group buy for homebrew CPUs?

woodelf bfranchuk at jetnet.ab.ca
Mon Aug 14 12:57:21 CDT 2006

Dave McGuire wrote:

>   The closest thing to an "electronics store" around here is Radio
> Shack.  The stuff they sell is not, in my opinion, even suitable for
> through-hole work.
>
>   As far as hardware stores...perhaps even less suitable than Radio
> Shack stuff.

Heck, I am having trouble finding REAL hardware!
Out here in the Backwoods of Canada, they will sell you the latest
chinese battery powered screwdriver for $15, but you can't find a
small powered hand drill unless it is $100 do all,end all drill.
They had 2 $50 drills in stock, now they have one.

>   I honestly mean no disrespect here.  The whole "surface mount is hard"
> thing just grates on my nerves, because pretty much everyone who has
> actually done both surface mount and through-hole, myself included,
> thinks it's easier.

Well surface mount does require PCB's, through-hole stuff still
has other ways of mounting. What little I have seen of SMT parts
is that projects using them is sourced by only one company and
is more of IC demo rather than a real project.

>             -Dave
>
> --
> Dave McGuire
> Cape Coral, FL

Now back to using my drill...
BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ   BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUZZZZZZZZZZ  $%!# BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ