Asynch designs (OT)

aliensrcooluk at yahoo.co.uk aliensrcooluk at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 14 16:06:14 CDT 2006

 --- Jules Richardson <julesrichardsonuk at yahoo.co.uk
> wrote:
> Don wrote:
> > Stan Barr wrote:
> >> Hi,

> channels, and I'll perhaps
> as quite an expense
> >>
> >> Not quite - the licence is for having _any_
> equipment installed in your
> >> home capable of receiving broadcast tv - _any_
> broadcast tv.  The money
> >> goes (mostly) to the bbc, but a licence is
> required for any broadcast
> >> tv equipment including, but not limited to, a t
> set, video or dvd
> >> recorder with a tuner or a computer with a tune
r.
>  You still have to
> >> pay even if you never watch the bbc :-(
> >
> > So, the *tuner* is the gotcha?  I.e. if you used
> component
> > DVD player/recorder, a video *monitor*, etc.
> *they* would be
> > exempt?
>
> Actually, the way I always understood it is that t
he
> licence fee funds the BBC
> and isn't used for anything else (such and funding
> general transmitter
> install/upkeep). But the Government call it a "TV
> licence" even though all the
> cash goes to the BBC, and therefore you need to pa
> for the licence if you
> want to watch any channels, not just the BBC.
>
> I don't know how well it's been challenged in cour
> - but as the BBC transmits
> on slightly different frequencies across the count
ry
> it'd be hard to market a
> device that was guaranteed not to be able to recei
ve
> the BBC now or in the
> future, whilst being able to receive anything else
.

Thats the way I think it works too. I believe
the BBC had to renew the patent (or whatever)
a few years ago, so we'll be paying them for
another 50 years or so.
For those outside the US, the BBC also runs
atleast 5 main radio stations , plus local ones,
here in the UK.

Also, some handheld games devices such as
my Sega Gamegear (and I believe Nintendo's
Game Boy Advance) have TV Tuners which allow
them to receive terrestrial TV.
Not quite sure how good the picture quality is
as I don't have a PSU for my Gamegear yet! :(

Regards,
Andrew B
aliensrcooluk at yahoo.co.uk