The TIFF versus JPG debate

Don THX1138 at dakotacom.net
Tue Aug 15 12:42:10 CDT 2006

Jules Richardson wrote:
> Don wrote:
>> I thought PDF's could just be used to *encapsulate* regular TIFF's?
>> I.e., in much the same way that they can encapsulate JPEGs, etc.
>
> Yes, but what would be the point? It doesn't really gain you anything
> except going from a more widely supported format to one that's less so.

My point was that the image itself is still a TIFF -- *encased*
in a PDF package.

PDF has value in that you can put other things (e.g., explanatory
text, parts lists, source code for diagnostics, etc.) in the same
"package" -- handy when you are archiving *projects* (as is my
need)

>>> For my money, I'm sticking with TIFF
>>
>> Agreed.
>
> Seconded.

It will be interesting to see what the real numbers/quality are...