PDP-8 /e/f/m memory
ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 15 18:08:08 CDT 2006
> On 8/15/2006 at 11:26 PM ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk wrote:
> >Actually, I thought the electrolyte was alkaline....
> It is--and stong alkaline solutions are bad news for aluminum, magnesium
> and zinc. Combines with the metal, liberating hydrogen.
Indeed. I was simply commenting on the OP's statement that the 'acid'
made a right mess of the Maglite.
Incidentally, if the corrosion isn't too bad, a good thing to use to
clean it up is a chemically weak acid. I use citric acid, disolved in
water and applied with a cotton bud. It's good on PCBs that have suffered
from NiCd leakage, for example.
More information about the cctalk