stack smashing Was: Re: Scanning Formats (TIFF vs. JPEG)

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 23 18:15:37 CDT 2006

> The really old turn-of-the-century books have the kids using sulfuric acid,

Sulphuric acid is not _that_ dangerous, particularly if dilute. Mind you,
I once had a long argument with a medical doctor who tried to convice me
that hydrochloric acid is toxic. I wonder what he thought was in my stomach?

> mercury, lead and lead salts,...

At least one of my old electrical books -- I think it's 'Harpers
Electricity Book for Boys' dating from 1907 [1] -- has you doing gold
plating using gold and potassium cyanides (!).

[1] Yes, it's an original, not the Lindsay reprint. And it's not the
oldest electrical book I own. I have a few books on electric bells and
telephones dating from before 1900. Yes, I like old books...

> Sometimes I think we're a bit overprotective.

Well, the darn govenrment is, that's for sure.