OT: Hotdog cooker links

David Griffith dgriffi at cs.csubak.edu
Wed Aug 23 22:55:43 CDT 2006

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006, Wulf daMan wrote:

>   I've never blown one up, but I have cinged them well beyond the
> point of being even close to edible.
>   The effect is called Sodium-D Line Emission.  There have been a few
> papers written on the subject, including one by seven engineers from
> DEC, titled "Characterization of Organic Illumination Systems".  This
> paper should be available on the Compaq website, but it can't seem to
> find it right now.  (Interestingly, they also studied stir-fried bok
> choy and raw mandarin oranges.)
>   Penn & Teller printed directions for the pickle light in their book
> "How To Play With Your Food" (great book, btw), and it really does
> work.  Pretty neat, gives off an odd yellowish glow.
>
>   You can find info on how it all works, and how to make your own at:
>              http://tinyurl.com/jku95
>
>   Best wishes, and always use a gfci or a really big stick.
> Shaun

I did this in high school with a plain cord with a switch on it.  The
pickle seemed to have enough resistance to not heat up the wire.  It's
also a very good idea to do stuff like this outside otherwise you'll stink
up your house.  The most interesting part of this stunt, I thought, was
that only one end of the pickle glowed.

--
David Griffith
dgriffi at cs.csubak.edu