Feelings about vintage systems

Roger Merchberger zmerch-cctalk at 30below.com
Thu Aug 24 12:35:31 CDT 2006

Rumor has it that Chuck Guzis may have mentioned these words:

>What I'm wondering is if one's feelings about "collectable" systems have
>more to do with the level of exposure to the internals of the hardware than
>with any intrinsic novelty of the hardware itself.

Like anything else, depends on the person. Me? that makes very little (if
any) difference.

>Does this make sense?  Since fewer folks are using assembly or machine
>language, does this account for the indifference to modern hardware?

<MODE="GD&R">

Your theory sucks. If what you say was true, more people would hate IBMs
because assembly coding on the 80x86 platform sucks canal water.

</MODE>

;-)

I'm kidding... mostly anyway. ;-) Having learnt assembly on the 6809 &
later the 6800 (which, coming from the 6809 felt rather constraining), I'm
not at all keen on 8085 assembly, yet my Tandy 200 just gives me the warm
fuzzies. It's also the machine I owned the longest before popping the
warranty seal (13(ish) years - had to replace the internal NiCad).

It's my toaster. I turn it on, type, program in Basic, work with the
spreadsheet, and not one heckuva lot else. Yet, because it's been the most
dependable computer I've ever owned [[ despite it being the least hacked &
durned near the slowest overall as well ]] that it is still one of my
favorite platforms of all time.

But maybe I'm just weird. [[ OK, I *am* weird, but that's another show. ;-) ]]

That's my story & I'm hiding under it,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger   | Anarchy doesn't scale well. -- Me
zmerch at 30below.com.         |