Comptometer / adding machine oil?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sat Aug 26 17:19:17 CDT 2006

On 8/26/2006 at 9:57 PM Jules Richardson wrote:

>Do mechanical adding machines / calculators favour any particular kind of
>oil (or grease) - or is it just a case of going for the lightest stuff
>possible?

An old standby for this kind of stuff is triple-filtered white kerosene
(paraffin oil to in the UK)--available as "Ultra-pure Lamp OIl" at many
variety stores.  Has moderate penetrating properties and is a light-bodied
lubricant.   You could also try some watch oil--the difference is that
watch oil is sold by the cc and lamp oil, by the liter or half-gallon.

FWIW, many brass-playing musicians use lamp oil on valves with very good
results.  I've heard that adding a few drops per ounce of 5 weight white
oil improves the lubricating properites.

Cheers,
Chuck