Good deals on PC100/133 DIMMs?

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at verizon.net
Sun Aug 27 22:28:34 CDT 2006

On Sunday 27 August 2006 11:09 pm, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> On 8/27/2006 at 10:54 PM Roy J. Tellason wrote:
> > I could use some - or 128s for that matter,  particularly if somebody _is_
> > throwing them away.  This box I'm typing through now was being thrown
> > away, and it's faster than anything else I'm running here!  Only thing is
> > that it  has only the one 256 stick in it,  and it'd probalby be happier
> > with more in there.
>
> Agreed, it's surprising how fast some of the older P1/P2 systems can be
> with enough memory and maybe a nice fast disk controller.

Well,  this one's an Athlon 850.  :-)

> But beware--some older mobos will not support more than 256MB.

I try to find stuff on the MB if I can,  usually.

> Win2K's memory footprint can get to be pretty big (over 100MB) even with no
> applications, so memory helps.  Don't overlook WIn98--it can run many
> common 32-bit Windoze apps with much lower memory overhead than 2K or XP.

I don't run any of that stuff here,  excepting one box that's got 98 on it
that'll soon be a dual-boot setup.

> OTOH, NetBSD running KDE seems to set a standard for bloat.

KDE is a pig,  no doubt about that.  Never did get around to trying any of the
BSDs here,  I've been pretty happy with Slackware overall.

-
M Dakin