"File types"

Tue Aug 29 02:10:06 CDT 2006

>> This does not describe any even vaguely Unixish system in my
>> experience.  All of them handle such things just fine - indeed, I
>> have a number of plain text documentation files named something.doc
>> on my home machines.
> Some builds of GNU gzip will indeed hurl on a file not named to its
> taste.  Note that I'm *not* disagreeing with you.  As far as I'm
> concerned that behavior breaks all kinds of conventions.  But it is a
> fact.

Yes...but I see that as a property of gzip, not a property of the OS.
(Indeed, that it could be changed by changing nothing but gzip is, to
me, evidence that it is *not* in the OS.)

Unless, I suppose, you consider the OS to include gzip.  I don't, at
least not when discussing filesystem typing.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca